Eugene in Pictures (Part 1)

Comment 1 Standard

It’s been two weeks since we returned home from Eugene, and I have lots of photos and stories to share!

We traveled from Norfolk –> Chicago –> Denver with only a few minor disruptions. I had too much to do the evening before we left so I never went to sleep, and the first two flights were too short (and turbulent) to get any sleep. Needless to say I was feeling a bit delirious when we arrived at the Denver airport, and let me just give you a taste of the trippy artwork you will find there.

Google “Denver airport is weird”. You’ll find a lot more like this.

Our last connection was from Denver –> Eugene and as we arrived at our gate I noticed a man that looked extremely familiar. Suddenly it hit me: it was freaking Frank Shorter, the gold medalist in the marathon at the 1972 Olympics (among his many other accomplishments)! I was definitely not prepared for that moment and forgot to ask for a photo, but I did get his autograph on my Believe I Am journal.

Frank Shorter’s autograph on my Believe I Am journal cover! (He spelled my name wrong, but I didn’t mind.)

We actually chatted for a bit in the airport, as well as on the flight. His travel companion seemed more interested in my nails than running, which I thought was pretty ironic. I did get a lot of questions about my nails in Eugene though. I guess the hippies don’t usually bother with manicures.

Sally Hansen “nail polish strips” in “Frock Star”.

We landed in Eugene (still no sleep) and picked up our sweet rental car.

Seriously, this was our car. Pete worked out a sweet deal, as usual (he’s such a swindler).

Eventually we made our way to one of the Oiselle houses and finally got to meet some of the women on the team, including Sally (founder of OIselle) and Kristin (our incredible team manager). Although I was slightly delirious, I think I managed to string together some sensible words. Afterwards we stopped at the Wild Duck, an attempt to stay up late enough so that we wouldn’t have to deal with jet lag. We also noticed a lot of USATF officials drinking up a storm and hoped that they would be sober by tomorrow’s events.

At the Wild Duck. Those martinis were STRONG.

Finally we made out way back to our fancy MO-tel (ok, it wasn’t that bad) and passed out. It was one of the best night’s sleep I have had in awhile. When I awoke the next morning, I had that feeling that you get on Christmas morning when you’re a little kid… SO EXCITED! And at the time I had no idea that we were about to witness one of the most thrilling Olympic Trials races ever.

(Next up: a run on Pre’s Trail, and a historic day at Hayward Field…)

One thought on “Eugene in Pictures (Part 1)

  1. Pingback: Buon Anno! « pieceofcakerunning

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s